My husband and I recently made the decision to purchase a water filter for our home. We have been working on organizing and building up our preparations, and the first thing we decided we needed to fortify was our water supply. We have stored water in bottles, barrels, and jugs, but we know that in a true emergency situation, eventually that will run out, and we’ll resort to finding water for our family: Rain collection, lakes, ponds, and streams are all great sources, and we have many of them around our home, but it won’t be drinkable immediately. We researched many of all the methods used to purify and filter water, and in the end decided a Berkey filtration system was the way to go. So, in April, we purchased a Royal Berkey complete with four Black Berkey filter elements and two PF2 filters. We bought it mainly for emergency situations, but I love that it can also be great for everyday home use. Over the past couple of months, we’ve put our Berkey to the test, and I am beyond excited to recommend this amazing product for you!
5 Reasons Why I LOVE my Berkey!
1. It comes in all different sizes, weights, and materials to fit your family’s needs. From the Go Berkey to the Berkey Light to the Crown Berkey, we’ve got you covered! We chose the Royal Berkey because it is small enough to work for our family of 3, but will still be a great choice for a larger family that we are planning on in the years to come. They even make a Sport Berkey filter water bottle, which has come in handy on more than one occasion for my husband, who carries it with him to work. on fishing trips, and to softball practice.
2. It will save you money. If you’ve been buying bottled water or filters for your fridge/water pitcher, the Berkey will save you money in the long run. Each Black Berkey Filter element filters approximately 3,000 gallons of water, which will last most families about 3 years! Some Berkey models can have up to 4 Black Filters, which could essentially last TWELVE years, depending on how much water your family drinks. Please, find me a fridge filter or water pitcher that will last that long! Despite the cost of initially buying the unit and filters, you will have better filtration, and save hundreds of dollars per year on water. And let’s just throw in a bonus here, too: You’re also saving the environment by eliminating unnecessary plastic waste.
3. It is gravity fed, so no water pressure or electricity is needed to filter your water. All you do is fill the top chamber with unclean water, and within a matter of minutes, the bottom chamber will be full of fresh, clean water that tastes AMAZING!
4. Berkeys filter as good or BETTER than any other water filter/purification system on the market! A single Berkey unit can filter out viruses, pathogenic bacteria, cysts, and parasites, extract chemicals including herbicides, pesticides, organic solvents, VOCs, detergents, cloudiness, silt, sediment, foul tastes, and odors AND can reduce heavy metals such as cadmium, chromium, copper, lead, mercury, aluminum and other dangerous heavy metals (even fluoride and arsenic if you have the PF2 filters) without removing the healthful and beneficial minerals that your body needs. Talk about a great filter! Check out this article to see just how the Berkey is able to do all of these things.
5. It looks nice! Our family, again, has a Royal Berkey, which is made of stylish stainless steel. I can set this thing on the counter in my Kitchen, and it just belongs there! No bulky, ugly filters to hide, and since we actually prefer room temperature water, it doesn’t take up space in my fridge either.
If you need MORE reasons to buy a Berkey:
What About You?
Do you own a Berkey? Which one? Tell me why YOU love YOUR Berkey!
If you’re interested in purchasing a Berkey, please check out my friends over at United Environmental Systems! They have some great deals and quality service! Check back often for special deals or offers! 🙂
Please see my Disclaimer about affiliate links.