I LOVE making my own cleaning products. Really, I do! It’s amazing that you can take just a few simple ingredients, mix them together, and have your whole house sparkling in no time! Among my favorites are my All-Purpose Cleaner, Dryer Sheets, and Laundry Detergent! Dishwashing detergent; however, had me stumped for awhile. I tried a powder recipe made from Borax, Washing Soda, and Kool-Aid first, but it didn’t work so well in our hard water. I was left with filmy, spotty dishes that didn’t look clean. Then I tried a different powder recipe with Lemi-shine instead of the Kool-Aid, which helped tremendously with the hard water spots, but the Lemi-shine made it all clump together so it was not ideal. I then saw the idea for Dishwasher Tablets on One Hundred Dollars a Month, and made them immediately! I’m so happy I did because they turned out perfectly! This is an ingenious idea right here, folks!
With just 4 ingredients and 20 minutes of your time you will have made your very own Dishwasher Tablets to last you over 75 loads! (I doubled the original recipe so I don’t have to make tablets as often.)
What You Need:
- 2 Cups Borax
- 2 Cups Washing Soda
- 1 Cup Epsom salts
- 1 ½ Cups Lemon Juice (or use water and 15-20 drops of Lemon Essential Oil!)
- Ice cube trays
What You Do:
- Stir together your Borax, Washing Soda, and Epsom salts in a large bowl, stirring until well mixed.
- Pour in lemon juice and stir until all of the dry ingredients are moistened. You might need just a smidge of extra lemon juice.
- Working quickly, put about 1 to 1.5 Tablespoons of the mixture into each ice cube slot.
- Press the mixture down until all the air bubbles are out and your detergent is compressed in the bottom of the tray. Note: You don’t want to fill your trays too full, or the tablets won’t fit in your detergent compartment of your dishwasher. Half-full is plenty of detergent for one load 🙂
- Let dry at room temperature for 2 hours up to overnight.
- When completely dry, break the tablets out of the ice cube trays and store in an airtight container until ready to use!
This recipe made me 6 and a half dozen 1 Tablespoon tablets! You can use one per load, or for an extra dirty/full dishwasher, add an extra tablet. Either way, they will last much longer than a box of store bought dishwasher detergent, and this cost me less than $6 to make! How awesome is that?! Tip: You can put distilled white vinegar in the rinse compartment for an extra shine on those glasses.
What About You?
Do you make your own dishwasher detergent or tablets? What recipe do you use?
Please see my Disclaimer about Affiliate links.