I love a good soup! Especially potato soup. There’s just something about the chunky, creamy goodness that makes a cold day better when you have a warm bowl of potato soup. That being said, if you’ve never had Loaded Baked Potato soup, you’ve been missing out! I found this wonderful recipe over at Mommy’s Kitchen, and loved it so much that I just HAD to share it! The original recipe calls for the potatoes to be baked and creamed prior to being pureed into a soup, but I like my potato soup chunky so I changed it up just a little bit:
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- 4-6 large baking potatoes
- 2/3 Cup butter
- 2/3 Cup All-purpose flour
- 4 Cups milk
- 2 Cups chicken broth
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 12 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled
- ½ Cup chopped green onions
- 1 Cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 (8oz) container sour cream
- Place bacon on a raised baking rack (or cookie sheet if you don’t have one), and place bacon in a cold oven. Then turn the oven on to 400°F, and bake for 15-20 minutes (including pre-heating time.)
- Peel and cube potatoes, and place in large stock pot of water. Boil about 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- When the bacon is cooked, crumble and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium low heat. Stir in flour to make a roux. Cook about one minute stirring constantly.
- Gradually pour in the chicken broth and milk while stirring. Turn the heat to medium and cook the soup until it starts to thicken.
- Add the potatoes, salt, pepper, bacon and cheese. Stir well and continue to heat for about 15 minutes allowing the flavors to blend.
- Mix in sour cream until well blended. Serve immediately. Garnish with green onions, additional bacon, and shredded cheese.
Serve with this yummy Cheesy Pull-Apart bread , and you’re all set with a scrumptious, easy weeknight meal!
Cheesy Pull-Apart Bread
- 2 (7.5 oz) cans refrigerated biscuits (or Make Your Own!)
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ Cup melted butter
- Cut each biscuit into fourths.
- Mix the shredded cheese, garlic powder, and oregano in a large bowl.
- Add the biscuit pieces and toss to coat.
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and pour in the biscuit mixture. Do not smooth out the lumps (the lumpier the better for pulling apart the bread.)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes then cover with foil and bake an additional 10 minutes. When done, drizzle with melted butter and serve.
What Do You Think?
Have you tried Loaded Baked Potato Soup? What changes do you make to your recipe?